Monday 16 March 2009

Living in a Bubble

I have lived the last two weeks in a bubble since my dad died. Today finally things are getting back to normal. The first week after dad passed away i spent arranging the funeral and all the paperwork that goes with it. I also had to be there for my mum who took it really bad. The second week i was on a IOSH Managing Safety course in Altens. So today is the first day back in the office and back to some sort of normality. I need to get some sort of routine back into my life. At least as much as i hate work i know the routine, get up early, go to work, bitch and moan, go home.
Today i am in absolute agony. I attended Ray's Kettlebell workshop at the AMAG gym. the workshop lasted three hours and covered all the basics of kettlebell use, mixed up with some stretching exercises and workouts. For someone who does as little exercise as i do, the three hours was hard going. when we nearly got the the end he had us doing a 7 minute workout that nearly flattened me. Usually when i exercise i feel the pain the day after, but i could feel the tightness in my thighs that night. Today i am walking like an old man, with stairs being a real killer. Tonight I will force myself out for a walk to try and loosen the thighs up, but I am sure tomorrow i will have new areas of pain!!
I have to say the kettlebells really are an excellent training tool. I thought before the workshop i would go along, see how I got on, then if i liked it buy myself a kettlebell for use at home. Now I am not so sure about jumping in straight away. One workshop doesn't make me proficient enough to use them. I think i would pick up bad habits quickly and end up doing myself an injury. I am going to try and get along to a few of Rays classes first, until i am happy that i have a good understanding of the kettlebell. Then i can work out at home. I also think the Key to using them to get maximum benefit is to use them as part of a workout, not just standing doing routine. I think a high tempo workout that incorporated the kettlebells would be good for me, though I am sure i will still have many sore days to come.
I have started reading to Kill a Mockingbird. The great Homer J Simpson put it best when he said
Books are useless! I only ever read one book, To Kill A Mockingbird, and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds! Sure it taught me not to judge a man by the color of his skin . . . but what good does that do me?

No comments: