Wednesday 21 July 2010

Another book i have recently finished is The 21 indispensable Qualities of a Leader. Yet another book i received from my boss to read, and very easy to pick up and put down as the way it is written it is broken down into small section and little bites, full of quotes from famous leaders, politicians and culture heroes of past. Here's a sample of some

“Leadership is the capacity and will to rally men and women to a common purpose and the character which inspires confidence.” ~ Bernard Montgomery, British Field Marshal


“How can you have charisma? Be more concerned about making others feel good about themselves than you are making them feel good about you.” ~Dan Reiland, Vice President of Leadership Development, INJOY


“Competence goes beyond words. It’s the leader’s ability to say it, plan it, and do it in such a way that others know that you know how- and know that they want to follow you.” ~ John. C. Maxwell

The 21 Qualities of a leader as defined in the book are
Character
Charisma
Commitment
Communication
Competence
Courage
Discernment
Focus
Generosity
initiative
Listening
Passion
Positive Attitude
Problem Solving
Relationships
Responsibility
Security
Self Discipline
Servant hood
Teachability
Vision
It does give a good insight into how to behave as a leader. It was good to self evaluate, to look to see where I could change, and learn. But the same with Broken Windows, it goes to highlight the failings of others and this can be very frustrating. I have learned from this book not only in my work life but in my private life. The definitive message I got was that the easiest option isn't the best option, and that is something I have been guilty of in past. Being aware of the decisions I make and how the affect others is important, especially as I am no longer an independent single guy, I am a husband, a father, a supervisor, a team leader. Looking at the list, i felt that character was the most important Quality, and if you could grow your character the others would follow. I am trying to put it into practice, lets hope someone notices!!

No comments: