Saturday 17 July 2010

My mum has went and arranged to get a puppy. As you can imagine i freaked when she told me. What happened was my aunt had got a puppy, a papillion, this week. when my mum seen it she wanted one, so she phoned the breeder who had one left. It comes tomorrow. I am at my wits end. I discussed it all with her, and told her why i thought it was a bad idea. She agreed with some points but said she was getting it anyway. I asked her to hold off for a few months, but she wouldn't budge. I told her after all I had said was she still going to ignore me. She said yes. I asked why. She said because she wanted a dog and that was it. I now don't know if i should phone the breeder and tell her my mother isn't fit to get a dog, or if i should let it happen and deal with the consequences. Obviously I don't know what the consequences are yet. It may all work out great. She had a papillion as a child and is very excited. She will have a companion. She can get out into the open air with it. That's the plus sides. The down sides are numerous. She still cant look after herself properly. The reason she walks so much is her blood sugars are high and she exercises to take it down. Will she be so keen to walk when her blood sugars are stable? The weather is great just now, not so in January, is she prepared to walk it then? This is a puppy she is getting, is she prepared for it to chew everything in the house. What about when it shits, all over the garden, will she keep it clean for her grand kids, at the moment she cant even keep her weeds under control. What about the cost? Okay there is the £400 but there is food, vets bills, toys etc. All this on a pension? What about the long term commitment? This do could well live into double figures, the last time I spoke to the diabetic nurse she told me if my mum couldn't control her diabetes she would need to go into a home! What about the dog then? At the moment i want to walk away, have nothing to do with the situation, but i cant. I am going to visit her today, and to clean her patio for her, I am sure it will be a tense afternoon!

No comments: