Wednesday 22 April 2009

its been a few days since i last posted. Mum is still in hospital and the roller coaster continues to run. She has had her MRI scan but hasn't received the results back. I spoke to a Doctor on Monday who advised it was highly likely she has permanent brain damage. The extent if this is still unclear. We discussed what the next stage of her treatment is. She doesn't need medical assistance so they are keep to discharge her from hospital. The problem is she cant go home on her own. This was evident when last night Dave phoned to say Mum had went missing. The hospital had phoned to say they couldn't find her. She was being moved wards and was in the television room waiting confirmation of what ward she was going to. She told a nurse she was off to have a cigarette, even though she hasn't smoked in over three weeks, is on patches, and had no money!! when she returned she went to the first floor TV room instead of the second floor, and everyone panicked. A perfect example of why she cant go home on her own!!
All her tests will be done by the end of this week and a meeting is scheduled for next week to decide the best plan. They mentioned Inverurie Hospital to me this morning as an option, I will know more tonight.
Over the past few days I have been looking at various diets and fitness regimes. My life is all over the place just now with so many commitments i am finding it impossible to stick to any given plan, be it dietary or fitness. But that shouldn't mean i cant tackle the main issue in this blog, to lose weight. i came across a system called EatStopEat. The basis of this fat loss programme is to fast two days a week. This means in any given week you are removing 4000 plus calories from your weekly intake. It also requires strength exercises to build muscle tissue. This would be where the kettlebells would come into play!
I have to explain that I have tried to lose weight more times than I care to remember. I know the majority of times it is due to my lack of willpower and lack of discipline. But this system of fasting twice a week followed by normal eating patterns combined with weight based workouts is something that is very flexible. For example the fasting. It is required for a 24 hour period. On Monday i have my last meal at 6pm. I then don't eat for 24 hours, meaning I cant eat until 6pm Tuesday. This means though i am fasting for 24 hours i am not missing one whole day of eating. It is also flexible in that if Tuesday isn't a good day, say i am having lunch with someone through work, i can then change it to Wednesday. Now whether or not the claims about helping weight loss and increasing the metabolism are true, i honestly don't know. While doing my research i found arguments for and against fasting. But due to its flexible nature I will give it a try.
The fitness side has to be more structured. i need to hook up with Ray at AMAG to get the kettlebells workout he has written for me. I was swinging the bell on Monday out in my back garden and it felt good, though i am still convinced my technique isn't great, but with practice it will get better.
I have also been looking into rearranging my finances and working my budget harder but more of that later this week.

No comments: